Monday, August 23, 2010

Weekend Recap

I thought I'd take a bit of a break from the Alaska posts and write about our weekend.

We had a pretty good weekend. It's been a long time since I could say that.

(Well, I guess the weekend before was great because our son and daughter-in-law visited.) (The kids visiting are at the top of my list for a good weekend.)

Friday night my sweet hubby took me on a date. He did some investigating and found a very charming place about 45 minutes away. If not for the flies and humidity, it would have been perfect. (There were flies because it was outside.) The place was a sweet little winery that also served wood-fired pizzas. Now, I don't drink/like wine, but that didn't matter. The pizza was amazing. So was the french bread with rosemary and melted Gruyere cheese. The entertainment was wonderful. A young man played beautiful classical music on a piano. I'd love to go back sometime when it wasn't quite so humid and my good hair day will stay a good hair day.

Saturday was spent shopping in a biggish city about 50 miles away. We picked up some of those new house things like towel rods, red paint for the front door (!) and a rain gauge. (Yes we are nerds and like to know how much rain we got.) The best part of the shopping trip was picking out a new king-sized mattress to go with our new bedroom furniture that is being delivered on Wednesday! I am so excited! I will post some pictures when I get the room all decorated.

Sunday we went to church in the town we used to live in. We wanted to hear some young friends of ours share about their mission work in China. We tried to hear them share in July, but the wife decided to have a baby that day and they obviously canceled. (Well, maybe the baby decided to be born.) Anyway, this time all went as planned. AND we got to hold the sweet little baby boy. (Bonus!) Our friends did a great job of sharing their hearts and plans for working in China.

Lunch after church, (I sure miss that church family) was with a dear sweet 83 year old friend. We just love spending time with her and sharing about our lives.

After lunch we headed out to the country-side to pilfer pick some vegetables from a friend's garden. (That's my favorite kind of gardening... make friends with someone who has a large garden and let them give us the excess.)  Of course the best part of the afternoon was the time spent visiting with our friends.

You know, I should really have dug my camera out of my purse to document the activities. **making a mental note of that for future reference**

This week will be busy getting ready for company this weekend. My goal is to do some actual decorating! I can tell the creative juices are beginning to flow because I have started picturing how things could be set up around the house.

More Alaska pictures coming soon to a blog near you.

1 comment:

Teresa Dawn said...

Hearing about a missions trip AND holding a new baby? I don't know these ppl but I can officially say I wish I was there :p