Wednesday, August 25, 2010

RD 12


1. What is your favorite Mexican dish?
Do Chips and Salsa and Guacamole count as Mexican food?

2. When you were a kid, did you get started on your homework right away after school, or did you procrastinate?
Homework? Did I have homework? I don't remember doing homework every day and I'm almost sure that if I did have homework, I put it off. I was not a very disciplined student. Our kids, on the other hand had homework from day one, it seemed. I never liked how much homework they had when they were in elementary school. It seemed excessive. They would usually come home, have a snack and then dive into the worksheets. They both were/are very good students. I was always impressed with how hard they worked at school.

3. What is your favorite store for home furnishings?
 IKEA. Hands down. (Unless I go to Crate&Barrel.) I can always find something I like at IKEA. Always.
Isn't it a beautiful sight?
 

4. When you were young, did you like school lunches? 
In elementary school I walked home for lunch everyday. After that, no I didn't really like school lunches. I honestly don't remember anything about lunches during junior high. I don't think I ate lunch at the high school hardly ever.

5. Is religion a crutch?
Absolutely not! But being a Christian isn't a religion. It isn't rules and regulations. It's all about a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. No crutches involved here.

6. In your region, what is the "big" (most popular in the community or state) high school sport? 
This community? I have no idea. (only lived here a couple of months) The one I previously lived in? Football. High school football was a big deal. People would reserve their spots in the bleachers with blankets days before the game. Seriously.
Wrestling was huge at the high school I went to. It was the same high school Dan Gable went to.

7. Do you consider yourself rich?
There is always someone with more money. But we are very comfortable. My husband works hard and God has blessed us richly not only in material things, but in the richness of love in our family and the richness of salvation. :)

8. Which of these would you have the best chance for success in administering: A)CPR, B)Heimlich Maneuver, C)Changing a flat tire
I'm not trained in any of these. I once had a flat tire when it was just me and the kids. No hubby. I decided I could look at the book and figure out how to change the tire. But, thankfully, by the time I figured out where the jack was stored, a couple dads from my son's T-ball team drove by and changed the tire for me. Needless to say, I was very relieved.

9. Which dance would you prefer to learn & why: A)Salsa, B)Hip Hop, C)Waltz, D)Swing
I'd love to know how to Waltz with elegance. I think it can be such a beautiful dance and even more so with a long flowing ballgown.  (One thing I don't like about Dancing With the Stars is the women don't really wear dresses. Most of the time they look like they are wearing fancy underclothes with streamers. Just sayin'.) I have taken dance lessons a couple of times, and can I say? I'm not graceful... sigh...

10. What's the worst news you've ever delivered to someone?
About 2 1/2 years ago I had to tell my son and daughter that a very dear friend, Rachel, had been killed in a car accident. She was like a sister to them. Our pastor had received a phone call regarding her death, but since they had moved out of state and he was unable to get in touch with the parents, he was unsure about the report. I called my son who was away at college and had him check Rachel's Facebook account. I'll never forget hearing him say, "It's true." (Friends had written on Rachel's wall about her being gone.) (Writing this is making me cry and miss her all over again.) It was hard news for Megan and Caleb (and all of us) to take.
A neat thing related to that: After I talked with my son, he was also very upset and went over to talk with his girlfriend, Amanda, of only about 3 weeks. This dear girl (who is now his wife) cried with Caleb and prayed with him. That really shows the sweetness and compassion of our daughter-in-law. Also, the last thing Rachel did for Caleb (a month or so before she was killed) was to encourage him to ask Amanda out on a date.

11. Name something you learned in college that had nothing to do with classes or academics.
I learned that God needs to be at the center of my life affecting all areas, and not just a slice of it all by itself. How did Keith Green put it? "I want more than Sundays and Wednesday nights."
I also learned that I loved this one guy with a mustache and that I wanted to spend the rest of my life married to him. :)

12. New variation on an old question: If there's a song in your head that just won't get out, what is your favorite (or most repeated) line in that song?
I've been listening to Travis Cottrell Live a lot lately. I love his rendition of the old hymn Victory in Jesus.

Oh Victory in Jesus,
My Savior forever
He sought me
And He bought me
With His redeeming blood!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story about Rachel.

And I love Travis Cottrell's live cd... it is SO good.

Teresa Dawn said...

That's such a sweet story about Rachel. Sorry to hear about her death. But I'm glad you have such a wonderful daughter-in-law

Jill said...

That was such a sad story about Rachel. And a great song to end your random dozen with! I really enjoyed reading your answers.

Mocha with Linda said...

Loved your comment about the Dancing with the Stars "dresses" - I couldn't agree more.

What a heart-rending story about Rachel.

Thena said...

I loved your answers to #5 and 7. And we have the same for #9.

Joyce said...

I love Travis Cottrell's Victory in Jesus...we sang along with him to that song at the Beth Moore event I went to in April. It was so awesome. That song was my dad's favorite hymn and we sang it at his funeral so I always think of him too when its played.

SusanD said...

Thanks for sharing Rachel's story. It's wonderful how she brought your son and his GF together. Are you still in contact with her folks, Mike and Karen? I pray they are well. You are so right about the DWTS costumes. Great answers. Blessings, SusanD

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

So enjoyed stopping by today, it's my first visit but it won't be my last. Really enjoyed your answers and what a sweet story about your DIL. And, I sooooooooo agree with you about DWTS. Mercy me! Smiles for a beautiful week!

momma24 said...

I'm new to Random Dozen and popping for a visit!

Great answers and I couldn't agree more about DWTS. We tried to watch it as a family and just couldn't anymore. :(

Pam from alertandorientedx4 said...

What a precious story...proving yet again that God is who He says He is and He does what He promises (Rom 8:28)

Gigi said...

Oh, isn't Travis Cottrell a fabulous P&W leader? I got his "LIVE" CD as soon as it came out and it's absolutely wonderful! "Mercy Seat" just puts me away every. single. time. I hear it. Honestly.

IKEA. Enough said!