
1. What is your favorite fair/carnival food?
I haven't gone to a fair or carnival for a long time. When I was a kid I loved the fresh-made lemonade and the turkey legs. A few years ago we went to the Minnesota State Fair (the first time to a state fair for my hubby) and we ate a LOT of food! My two favorites from that experience were Sweet Martha's Chocolate Chip Cookies and Cheese Curds. Mmmmm.2. Are you holding onto something you need to let go of?
The hubby and I have been working hard to get rid of things around the house. The amount of stuff you own really comes to light when you see it all boxed up and put on a moving van. We've sorted through almost everything before it gets put away. We have several big things to find a new home for, whether it's someone else's home or the dump. Maybe I should also let go of the dream to move far away from the Great White North? Naw...I'll keep dreaming.
3. What is your favorite gift to receive?
Something that I never thought I'd get. (My hubby gave me diamond earrings for our 20th Anniversary. I was sooo shocked!) I also love it when someone had really put some thought into what they know about me and what I like. (For example: I am a fan of the artist Mary Engelbreit. Sometimes someone will find something that features her work, and I am just tickled.)4. When was the last time you tried something new?
Every morning is something new. It's a new day!
Does living in a new town and almost everything seems new count? I have gone to three new churches, shopped in new grocery stores, gone to new restaurants, driven around new streets and even met a few new people. (That's almost too much newness for me...)
On our cruise to Alaska I tried a few new foods. One was Braised Lamb Shank. Sadly, I was not a fan. Also, on that trip I walked across a suspension bridge. I was not a fan of that either. 5. What is your favorite and least favorite book genre? (Memoir, Mystery, Political Intrigue, Romance, Humor, Historical Fiction, Historical nonfiction, Chick Lit, Self-Help, Other)
Let's see....I read a lot. Probably my most favorite is Historical Fiction. Least favorites are Self-Help and Memoir. At least I don't choose to read those kinds very often. Oh! I just looked on the night-stand and guess what type of book I'm reading? Self-Help. **sheepish grin** It's titled Friendship for Grown-ups by Lisa Welchel. Honestly? I am finding it very painful to read. Mostly because of the subject. I've had an awful, painful time with friendships for the last several years. And that's all I'll say about that for now.
6.Silver or Gold?
This one is easy... Gold. I wear basically only Gold jewelry. Several years ago I tried to make myself like Silver jewelry and bought a bunch, but I just don't wear it. I have given a lot of it to my daughter, and tossed a lot. The one draw-back is that Gold jewelry is a lot more expensive. Sorry, hubby of mine. I am high maintenance. (Speaking of the hubby.... he had always told me that when he was single and would pray for his future wife, he asked God for silver and he got gold. Isn't he sweet?)
7. What makes you sigh?
I think I sigh a lot when I am feeling overwhelmed and defeated. I also think I sigh when I don't realize I am feeling overwhelmed and defeated.
8. If you didn't know how old you are, how old would you claim you are?
I'd think I was in my late 30s. Only without the small children. But I miss those small children. Some days I wish I could go back and re-live a day here and there when the kids were little. I miss those days. But there are some great things about an empty nest, so just a day here and there would be good. But it would be nice to look like I'm in my late 30s so I wouldn't have to pay so much to not look like I'm in my late 40s.
9. Would you break a law to save a loved one? To protect a loved one?
If I had to speed to get someone to the hospital? Heck, yes. If the loved one was doing something illegal/unethical, no I wouldn't do anything to protect them. Pretty sure that falls under the category of enabling.
10. If you had to teach something, what would it be?
I would teach parents how to discipline small children and how to understand the developmental stages children go through so one can understand what is reasonable to expect from children at different ages. I have found that most parents are not willing to listen to advice. I know someone with three kids who complains about how her kids behave, when it is so plain to me why they do what they do. But sadly, that mom is not willing to be given any advice.
I don't think I'm a very good teacher. I let my mom teach my daughter how to sew. I just could not figure out how to teach her what I already knew.11. You're having lunch with 3 people whom you respect and admire. They begin to criticize a close friend of yours, not knowing she is your friend. What do you do?
Jeepers, I have no idea. It would likely depend on how confident I was feeling that day. If I felt confident in myself I would definitely speak up and defend my friend. If not, I'd probably leave lunch quite mad and not respect and admire those 3 people quite as much. 12. Which of the 5 Love Languages is your prominent means of experiencing love? (Go to Linda@2nd Cup of Coffee to take the online quiz.)
Here's how I rated:
Words of Affirmation 11
Gifts 6
Quality Time 6
Physical Touch 4
Acts of Service 3
No real big surprises to me there. (Were you surprised honey?)

8 comments:
I especially liked your answers for #8, #10 and #11. And I'm amazed how many women use the love language of words of affirmation! That's me too.
I love #8 -- to go back for a few random days with the little ones who aren't little anymore. But I think I'd have trouble with the Prime Directive -- and I'd try to change my behavior to make things "better"...
and then I'd sigh, and sigh, and sigh as history unfolds differently.
I agree with helping people teach their kids. Even in church, where we ALL agree to help families raise little ones, the help seems to be more reactive, too late, than earlier...
Your answer to #10 is so true. Seems like so many parents are trying to be their friends these days instead of parents. Makes you want to shake them and tell them one day these kids are going to be grown-ups. What will the world be like then in 10 or 20 years? It's scary.
ha=my hubs won't be surprised by my language either : )
I love #8...especially the last line! I'm there too.
Reading how you would love to go back - even if just for a few days - to when your kids were little encourages me. Because I am so right in the midst of it and some days I just pray God gets me through. But I KNOW that someday I will look back and see what a gift these days are. :)
Fun to read this - thanks for sharing. :)
Its so good to see one of your RD posts again - it's a neat way to get to know you.
I keep telling my husband he sighs when he is stressed out and then he claims he's not - but I think your answer is more specific and I agree totally :)
And as fas as parenting advice goes - I totally agree that sometimes an outside person can identify the problem easier than the person in the midst of it. I appreciate that advice when given politely by a trusted friend but would be really annoyed if a stranger/aquaintence gave it. Huh. Sometimes the parent's pride has to be resolved before the kids' behaviors will be helped??
I've been a fan of the 5 love languages for a long time. I think they have changed a bit over the years. It was always quality time and acts of service, and and gifts last. Now its AoS, WoA and then gifts!! Funny.
4 posts read; 4 posts WORDS OF AFFIRMATION
I'm one too
love #8
I so enjoyed reading your answers. I'm right there with you on friendship. It's very difficult to develop relationships as an older adult. Thanks for sharing. Blessings, SusanD
Post a Comment