Friday, August 27, 2010

Alaska -- Part 5

Our last port-of-call in Alaska was not near as good as the other two. I guess we just got a bad tour guide. And it was just too touristy. (is that a word?)

This garbage truck was the best/funniest thing I saw.
A cool looking fishing boat:

Our last port-of-call on the cruise was to Victoria, British Columbia. I had no idea what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised. It is a beautiful city. The climate sounds almost ideal... 44-75 degrees! It rains 25" a year and snows once every ten years. Soooo nice!

We reached port at 6pm. Along with our ship was, I think, two other ships. Check out all the buses and taxis waiting for the cruisers:


We had a delightful city tour and learned a lot about the city.

We ended the tour with a visit to a place called Butchart Gardens. It was started 100 years ago by the wife of a man who quarried limestone. She wanted to make the spent quarry beautiful. It has been open to the public for 100 years except for a few years during World War II. (What part of the world was not affect by WWII?)

I had a hard time picking just a few pictures of the flowers. It was amazing all over. I hope you can catch that form my photos.


I could not decide what was my favorite rose. There were so many!


These yellow flowers were so unique!




The evening ended with an outstanding fireworks show. Of course I couldn't get very decent pictures, but here are a couple I posted just to help me remember the evening.


It was a wonderful evening in Victoria.

Our next stop was the end of the cruise. We then spent a few days in Seattle. I'll post some pictures later.


3 comments:

Jill Erickson said...

We have been to the Island and the Gardens....it is a beautiful place! We never leave enough time for ourselves. (I have an aunt and uncle and 4 cousins who live in Abbottsford BC so we have traveled that way a few times through the years.)

Teresa Dawn said...

I'm heading over to Victoria on the 7th for a night to help my brother move back into his University for another year. I'm really looking forward to it. You'd think that it's being only a couple hours away and the capital city of my province I'd have been there quite often but it's been nearly 15 years since I've gone across to the island! Yikes! Where does time go?

Gigi said...

Judy - first of all (((hugs))) to you, my sister in Christ, and thank you for stopping by my blog last night! Please know that I will be keeping you in prayer.

Secondly - WOW! What beautiful photos of the gardens in Victoria!!! I feel like I was there (well, okay - now I really want to go there, so thanks for that)!

My Sweet Hubby was from Washington state (Tacoma), so Seattle and the surrounding area is near and dear to my heart...I hope you had a wonderful time touring that fabulous city - SO much to see and do there!

Judy, I am adding your blog to my blogroll this morning so that I will be reminded to stop by often...I love your blog! I hope you have a blessed week!