Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Random Dozen #9

1. Tell me something about your favorite teacher.
He was my 10th grade history teacher. His name was Mr. Quick. The class was Colonial Revolutionary Period. He made the class fun and challenging and actually even thought I was really smart.

2. Tell me about one pivotal moment in your life.
I would say my pivotal moment was about a three year moment. From 1998 to 2001 we lived in Singapore. Those three years changed my perspective on so many things. It brought our family closer. It gave all of us a wider view on the world. It brought me closer to God. It brought some unhealthy things in our lives into focus so they could be fixed. It eventually brought us to our current town and our current church. The things we have all learned through being a part of this church have definitely been pivotal in all of our lives. (Go here to read my son's blog post for an example.) Having said all that, those three years were the hardest three years of my life.

3. About favorite colors--a lot of people will ask you what it is, but I want to know why it is. What feeling or memory does it evoke?
Red for it's energy and fun. And I like almost any shade of green. (not a fan of Hunter Green) I think I like greens because of it's calming nature. Funny. The two colors I like are for opposite reasons. (My laptop is red. I kind of wanted a green one, but we were getting our daughter a laptop at the same time and she chose green. Good thing they had my other favorite color!)

4. What's a sure sign that you're getting older?
How often I have to pay to not look as old as I am. ;) And a few months ago we called some friends over to watch a movie with us and thought we were being like the "young-ins"...starting a movie late. It was 8:30pm. When I told my daughter that she about fell over she was laughing so hard.

5. Please don't sermonize, but Halloween--is it a yes or no for you?
NO.NO.NO. My kids never went trick-or-treating. And I don't think they regret that. I sure don't.

6. What's your favorite musical?
The high school our kids went to does a musical every year. Of the seven they were a part of I think my favorites were "West Side Story" and "Kiss Me Kate". Megan was "Kate". That was one awesome performance. I sat in the second row marveling at my daughter. I never knew she had all that in her. "West Side Story" was quite difficult musically and I was proud had how hard those kids worked. Caleb played the alto sax in the pit. This year the high school is doing "The Wizard of Oz." We are seeing that this Friday night.

7. Are you more of a city mouse or country mouse?
Let's see, would I rather live in the sewers or in a field.... A mouse is an icky rodent. I'd rather live in my house. ;) I would like to live in the country where it is quiet, but not too far of a drive to the city for the essentials and for entertainment.

8. Did you know that it is possible, for a small fee, to name a real star after someone? (It's true! Google it!) If someone were to name a star for you, would you appreciate it for its whimsy and romance, or would you say, "Are you kidding me? For $19.95 we could have gone to the movie and actually bought popcorn."
I'll go with the ''Are you kidding me? For $19.95 we could have gone to the movie and actually bought popcorn." Kind of stupid and a waste of money. And where does the money go? I don't think the star needs it.

This question comes from Paula at His Ways Are Not Our Ways.
9. What's the craziest thing you've ever been doing and texted during it? I only thought of this b/c I was about to try to text during my walking video but I didn't. Paula, you do know that this blog is rated G, right?
I have texted several "weird" places. In the bathroom, (while using it...) during church, during prayer time.

10. "It's not a party unless _______."
there is yummy food and good friends.

11. When you're stuck in traffic or a waiting room, what do you do to pass the time? PS: There are no magazines available.
If I am in the car, sing loudly with the radio or a CD. If in a waiting room, I fiddle with my cell phone. I don't even have that fancy of one right now. I look forward to getting one that has more things to do on it.

12. If you weren't yourself, would you be friends with you?
Really tough question for me to answer right now. I am struggling with thoughts that as people get to know the real me, they don't like me. My former pastor and friend would tell me that is a lie from The Pit, but it's a real struggle I have right now fueled by some pretty ugly things in my life I shouldn't write about here. If you are interested, email me.

Go to Linda's@2nd Cup of Coffee for more answers to random questions.

3 comments:

Joyce said...

We have just returned from an expat assignment in the UK...it was challenging at times but we absolutely loved it. I could relate to some of what you wrote and am particularly grateful for the family togetherness those years allowed.

Had to laugh at #4-my daughter phoned from college last night at 9:40-my husband and I were already in bed with the lights off. Sad but true. My daughter however was not surprised : )

Olson Family said...

Don't believe the lies from the Pit. You're not alone - I'm struggling with my own -what a daily battle - I don't want the PitMaster to do a happy dance. All I have to offer is: Pray without ceasing.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Judy, thanks for playing this week.
Singapore would be so interesting. I know so little. Maybe you could post once in a while about interesting moments there.

Hang in there on #12; you know what to do and what not to do. Stay strong, strong in Christ. Remember: the truest thing about you is what God says about you. What he said is recorded over and over in scripture. There is no mistake that you are beloved and accepted.