Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Labor Day Weekend

Another fun long weekend with my best friend. I never get tired of spending time with that man of mine.

Highlights:
  • Picking tomatoes, basil, jalapenos, broccoli (I couldn't eat the broccoli... when I was cleaning it I found a bright green worm, so I searched carefully through it all, or so I thought. After I cooked it in the microwave and dumped it in the serving bowl I saw another worm. Cooked. Just couldn't do it. But Pete ate it. Ewww.)
  • Seeing The Time Traveler's Wife. I was an interesting movie, but really weird. I wouldn't highly recommend it.
  • Spending time with hubby cutting up lots of veggies, skinning tomatoes.
  • Pete making salsa. Doesn't it look yummy?
  • Bonfire with Mike & Jen. Love just relaxing by the fire and talking with good friends.
  • Worshiping with our awesome church family. It did feel a little strange to have gone from 6 in our family at worship last week to just the 2 of us. Good thing I'm crazy in love with that husband of mine.
  • Shopping in St. Cloud with that husband of mine.
  • Being spontaneous at 8:30 at night (really a radical thing for us to do) and inviting friends over to watch Secondhand Lions. If you haven't seen it, you should rent it. It's a great movie!
  • Making spaghetti sauce. Man it tastes good. I can't wait to add some spicy Italian sausage to it, cook up some pasta, and eat it along with a tossed salad and some garlic bread. Mmm.

6 comments:

Jenny - AKA - frogmama said...

What a fun weekend! Yep, I have a busy week of cooking up garden stuff before it spoils (more).

A tip for the broccoli worms - when you pick it, soak it in the sink with some salt water. I just dump like a 1/2 - 1 T of salt in while I'm filling the sink. That helps them let go of it. Those little guys hide well

Sandy Cutshall said...

Ditto on the salt water trick. Also on the movie. I kind of got lost until Meg explained something to me.

Judy said...

Thanks for the tip for those icky worms Jenny and Sandy. I'll get the salt out next time!

Sandy -- I assume you mean "The Time Travelers Wife"? It was a smidge confusing what with the whole time travel thing and all. :)

Peter said...

Just to be clear - I ate the broccoli, not the worm.

Judy said...

Pete -- How do you KNOW you didn't eat a worm? I bet you did....

Russ Bloem said...

Can you share your salsa and sauce recipes? Also, do you freeze the salsa? It all looks so yummy!