Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake

This week's dessert was a Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake. It's one of my favorites. And I found out it is a favorite of a couple in our Small Group. They called to say they couldn't make it tonight, but stopped by before they left town to have a piece of cake! That made me laugh.

It's a pretty easy recipe as it starts with a cake mix. The original recipe calls for a yellow cake mix, but I often use a lemon cake mix to up the yummy lemonyness.

I bought this bundt pan last year the day after Valentine's Day. Isn't it cute?


I think what really makes this cake is the use of fresh lemon juice and the lemon zest. I use two lemons for the 2 tablespoons called for. Oh and the long skinny thing in the picture? The best zester ever. But be careful, I have managed to zest my fingernails before.



Ready to bake:



The finished product with the yummy glaze. Notice the big missing chunk? This photo was taken after the Small Group Skipping Couple had stopped by.



1 box yellow cake mix
1 (8 oz.) package fat-free cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup water
2 large eggs
2 egg whites
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
3-4 teaspoons lemon juice

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease pan. (I use baking spray with flour and alway have good results)
  • Beat on low speed cake mix, softened cream cheese, water, eggs, egg whites, lemon zest, lemon juice and poppy seeds until moistened, about 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed until well blended, about 2 minutes.
  • Pour the batter into a greased 10" tube pan or bundt pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted come out clean. About 40 minutes.
  • Cool in pan on rack for at least 20 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on rack.
  • Glaze: Combine ingredients until mixtures forms a smooth thick glaze. Spoon over top of the cooled cake, letting it drip down the sides.


4 comments:

Drew and Rachel said...

hmmm, I'm wondering if my parents are the couple you're referring to here. I know that they skip a lot, they head out of town a lot, but I don't know if they like lemon poppy seed pound cake.

Judy said...

Yes, Rachel, it IS your parents who are the Small Group Skipping Couple. You are so smart! Who else would come over for dessert when they won't be here for small group? :)

Anonymous said...

Love it! yummo! I could never get away with using low fat anything at the store. Hope all is well. Check out www.iowafarmertoday.com and click on farm cooks. Fun!!

Anonymous said...

We DO like lemon poppy seed pound cake, even without the glaze!

We would eat it in a boat.
And eat it with a goat...
And we will eat it in the rain.
And in the dark. And on a train.
We will eat it BEFORE small group, WITH small group or WITHOUT small group.
It is so good, so good you see!
'Cus there is NO other baker like Judy!

Thanks Judy for accommodating the Small Group Skipping Couple in their travels.