Wednesday, July 16, 2008

What I Came Home To

Megan and I just got back from a trip to Lawrence for her college orientation. She's all enrolled for classes now! We had a busy couple of days. We went to several different sessions together and separately. We learned such gems as, to be successful, you need to go to class and college costs a lot of money. Enlightening.

I think I can soundly say that I detest road construction season. It seemed like every where I tried to go in Lawrence, there was a street that was closed. Grrrr!!! Then there was the missed exit in Kansas City... But that ended up not being quite so bad, thankfully.

We left Sunday after church and got back last night (or this morning?) at 1:30AM. Needless to say, we are pooped today. It sure was nice to have someone else share in the driving.

A perk to the drive to Kansas is not having to only eat fast food along the way. Our favorite restaurant is a 5 minute drive off the interstate. Hickory Park is The Best BBQ restaurant ever. We can make it in and out in about 40 minutes. We were able to stop there both ways!

When we stumbled in the door at the wee hours of the morning, Megan walked in the back door and turned around and looked at me. She said, "What happened to the wallpaper?" My response was, "Peter!" Last week I told Pete I thought we needed to paint the front hallway and take the wall paper down. It was very scuffed from years of wear and tear. I thought that would be a great project this fall after the kids were at college. But my sweet, sweet husband got himself busy and did all the nasty work and peeled the wallpaper off. (He had removed the wallpaper in the kids' bathroom too!) Now we just have to decide on what color to paint. I am thinking the hallway needs to be the same color as the living room since the are next to each other. But the bathroom... it has red counter tops (yes, true red) and the toilet and the sink and bath tub are light gray. Any suggestions?

Before I went to bed, I saw all the other work he had been doing.... laundry, dishes, dusting, mopping, vacuuming. How nice to come home to a house like that. I have such an amazing husband. I am blessed. I should have been suspicious when I talked to him on the phone and asked what he had been doing and I got answers like, "Oh not much." and "You know, stuff..." That should have been a red flag from the man with the never ending to-do list.

Several years ago I went shopping for the day with a friend and when I came home, he had painted and hung a whole new closet system and organized all the clothes in our closet!

I am blessed woman.

Gotta go now and finish baking cookies for Bible study tonight.

No comments: