Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Cookie Recipe

I thought I would post my very favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. But I must give some credit to Alton Brown. I got the recipe from one of his DVDs and then tweaked it a bit. They are soft and chewy and have oatmeal in them. Sometimes I add pecans. Yum.

So, start with these things:

And yes, I am a bit obsessed with the Tupperware. Or at least I was in the '80s & '90s.

Then you use one of these Mixers of Awesomeness to mix it all together. (Don't worry, the list of ingredients is below) My sweet husband gave me one of these mixers last year and I Love It!

Next, use a BIG cookie scoop. Alton also introduced me to the wonders of parchment paper. I am a fan. So easy, and no more washing of a bunch of cookie sheets!


After baking ..... YUMMY! Caleb says these cookies are addictive. I must agree.

Here's the recipe:

2 sticks (8 oz. each) unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups oatmeal

Melt the butter. (If you don't use unsalted butter, cut back on the salt.) Sift together flour, salt, and baking soda. (The bread flour makes a difference because of the gluten level in it.)
Pour the melted butter in the mixer's bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, egg yolk, milk and vanilla extract and mix until combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and oatmeal.
Chill the dough. Bake ate 375 degrees for 14 minutes or until golden brown.
The recipe was without the oatmeal, but I just added it and it turned out great! I'm sure you could add nuts too.

Enjoy!

No comments: