Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Christmas Vacation

I have had the privilege of having a few really great Christmas breaks. The first one was in 1999 when we went to New Zealand for 10 days. That was an amazing trip. It is wonderful to see different parts of the world and see what God has made. That trip we got to go whale watching, see hot sulphur springs, see amazingly beautiful sheep covered mountains and ocean in one view, and worship in a church with New Zealanders on Christmas morning.

The next Christmas was in 2000 in NE Australia. That was complete with snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef on Christmas Eve. What an imagination our great God has with all those beautiful tropical fish! We saw rain forests, koalas, brightly colored birds in the wild (parrots I think), we had steaks on the BBQ by the pool on Christmas Day, and got to celebrate New Years Eve with some good friends and watch fireworks (on TV) on the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

This Christmas we had the privilege of going to HAWAII!!! We flew to Honolulu and then cruised around the islands from Christmas Eve to New Year's Eve. Here is a preview. We got to see volcanoes (no hot lava though), a HUGE banyan tree (it filled up a city block), experience life on a cruise ship for a week, eat cruise food (yummy), and we got to get a tan in the middle of winter!

I will add some pictures in the next few days. I need to get some laundry done, put Christmas stuff away, and clean my terribly messy house. But other than that I have so much free time... Haha.

I am excited to think about where another Christmas break may be spent. In some ways I think doing something different to celebrate Christmas makes me stop and think a bit harder about the real meaning of Christmas.

No comments: