Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Random Dozen of the Week


1. Would you rather host party or simply attend a party?
I like hosting parties. I really like doing it with my husband. We make a good team. We had graduation parties for both of our kids and that was a lot of fun. In 10 days we are hosting the most important party ever. Our daughter's wedding. But I haven't really done a lot of the planning, mostly check-writing and credit-card-swiping and 32-purple-table-runners-making. It will be a great day!

2. Tell us about the most memorable party you've been to.
When we were moving back to the US from Singapore, the people who reported to my husband wanted to give him a going away party. The funniest thing about that was that they asked to have it at our house. The food was catered, but I knew the whole place needed to be clean, because they would want to look through the whole house. I didn't have a maid at the time, so I hired my neighbor's maid for a day and had her clean everything, including the balcony off our son's room and the area outside. The food was good, but I must say that Singaporean's view of dessert isn't the same as ours. The food sat outside in the tropical heat for a couple of hours after the party was over and I really hoped no one ate the leftovers.

3. What is one thing you hope for in the after-life?
Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."   Revelation 21:1-4

4. What do you enjoy most about sunshine?
Ummm.... the light! And the warmth. And the brightness. I love to open the blinds in the morning and have the sun stream in. But certainly not before I am ready to wake up. I think I can count the number of times I have seen a sunrise on one hand.

5. When you attend a bridal/baby shower, do you prefer to bring your own gift or chip in with others to buy a larger gift?
I bring my own gift.

6. Would you rather have a FREE week of having your house cleaned or all of your meals cooked for you and your family?
Only a week? Can I have BOTH please? I asked nicely! Okay.... I think I'd like all the meals cooked. I get tired of thinking up ideas all the time. Would they clean up the kitchen afterward? Who do I call for this?

7. What song describes your mood today?
Is there a song about lets get on with this already and someone please buy our house and I want to be with my husband? Lame answer, I know, but song titles aren't coming to me right now.

8. What is something you received for your own bridal shower/wedding that you still own or use? (If you are not married, feel free to sub a gift you received a long time ago.)
Twenty-six years later, there are several things: a rolling pin, recipe box, a glass serving bowl, mixing bowls.... and more things like that. My mom said last weekend that she still has a pie dish her mother gave her for a shower present -- 57 years ago!

9. Your favorite flavor of ice cream is?
Anything with chocolate. Hy-Vee grocery stores has a great tasting store brand of chocolate. (at least it was 30 years ago.) Another favorite is Timberlodge Mint.

10. When was the last time you felt "tested?"
A better question would be, "When was the last time I didn't feel tested?" It's been a challenging, um, long time. Calm. soon. please?

11. "[Fill in the blank] is a food that once I start eating I find really hard to stop."
Chocolate covered pretzels... sesame sticks...

12. "-----" is the best motivation.
A time deadline is the best motivation. Yesterday we had only a few hour notice to get the house in order for a showing. (It was someone who had looked at the house for the third time. Could I ask for all of you out there in blogland to pray they would make an offer in the next couple of days?)

8 comments:

Kirsty said...

I gave the same answer for #12 :) Thank goodness for people like you who love to host parties!

Joyce said...

Praying you get your offer...I understand this oh so well.

And enjoy your daughter's special day too. My hubs and I make a good team in the party department too...it makes hosting parties fun.

Robin Lambright said...

I remember those house selling days, it is really no fun to always be in a perpetual state of order, who lives like that, people in magazines???

Love the revelation verse! AMEN Sister!

Prayers for a good offer on your house!
Blessings
R

said...

I had a hard time thinking of song titles too. :)

Jerralea said...

I liked your answer about being tested ... it's hard to think of time I'm NOT being tested!

I hope your house sells soon. Someone who has looked three times must really be interested! Praying that they are the one!

Mocha with Linda said...

Hope your house sells soon! Loved your answers, especially #3!

Teresa Dawn said...

Enjoy the wedding!

Olson Family said...

Life has been a blur for May. I'm catching up on one month of posts (guilty pleasure I decided I needed even though I still have company and I should be in bed). Loved your Mother's Day post and the pic of your parents at the end (tears), I felt priviledged to meet, not only you, but your lovely daughter last year and now she's going to be married! AND love your 'after-life' response. :)