Wednesday, May 12, 2010

More Random Questions


1. Please share one memory of your high school graduation. Pics would be great!
I remember being nervous that I would trip in my high heels walking up to the stage. I wore a dress I made. It was the last time I sang in my high school choir. We sang The Battle Hymn of the Republic. (Did you know it was written in 1861? It was popular during the American Civil War. You can read about it here. I just watched this video and surprised myself by actually remembering the alto line after several decades.) I wish I had a picture. Oh wait... Here is a Senior Picture as it hangs on the wall at my parents' house:


2. What is one "emergency use" item you keep in your vehicle at all times?
Well, I guess jumper cables. Not that I have a clue how to use them. In the winter I keep a blanket just in case I have an urgent need for a nap on a long trip. :)
 
3. In your region, do you celebrate graduation open houses? Addendum: (If so,) how many open houses/bridal showers/weddings are on your upcoming events calendar?
Yes, graduation open houses are rampant here. We had one for both of our kids and they were a lot of fun. I think we will only go to 2 or 3 this year. A friend of ours told us how she was out running the first May they moved here and saw several tents set up in driveways and at first thought there were a lot of funerals happening. I laughed so hard when she told me that. I always wondered if we popped in on a busy open house of someone we don't know, would any one notice we didn't really belong?
Bridal showers? Weddings? I have two more showers to go to for our daughter and ONE wedding! 24 days until our girl gets married!

4. Tell me one truth you believe about motherhood.
It's a lot of hard work, the best job ever and goes by in the blink of an eye leaving me wonder if I did a good enough of a job and kinda wanting to do it again but at the same time worn out at that thought. (Does one sentence count as one truth??)

5. What was the last thing you broke?
 I don't really remember what I broke last. Just lots of things in the house have been breaking. (sump pump, cable box, water softener, sprinkler system, washing machine CO detector, ice dispenser, vacuum cleaner... seriously, all these things have gone wrong since we put the house on the market)

6. On average, how many pieces of junk mail do you receive daily?
I think we get around 3-4 a day. There's one good thing about moving... it takes a while for the junk-mailers to find you again.

7. Do you like to shop by catalog?
If by catalog you mean on-line, then the answer is yes, yes, yes. I live in a small town (and moving to an even smaller town farther away from a decent sized town). I am thankful for on-line shopping. One of my favorite sites is Zappos.com. I get shoes from them. I have wide feet and not many stores carry that and Zappos is a great place to find them. The best part is there is no shipping cost. If you need to return something, you can just print out a return label and it is so simple!

8. Is lawn maintenance at your house a "his job," a "her job" or "his/her job" or "that's why we have teenagers" job?
Oh definitely "his job." When the hubby was heading out to dig dandelions recently, I apologized for not having more kids. :) My outdoor job is to water the flowers and the grass. I like watering the lawn because it has consisted of walking into the corner of the garage and flipping the switch on the sprinkler system. We'll miss that.

9. Which room would you like to redecorate in your home?
Right now, none. When we move I guess I get to redecorate every room in our new house!

10. Do you read a newspaper regularly, or do you read most of your news on line?
I do read our local town paper. It only comes twice a week. I get most of my news on TV.

11. Do you believe everything happens for a reason?
Oh Yes! Romans 8:28 says:
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

12. Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the right things?
Ummm.... yes?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

so interesting to read someone elese's house is having things break, we had our water heater break and it's not fixed yet 3 days not fun, we had our sink in the kitchen bust last month and we had our dishwasher and oven go in one month.
Found you from random dozen I am having a giveaway on my blog if you want to check it out...
http://nf1andpre-kwhisper.blogspot.com

Caleb Sommerville said...

Oh thanks, cuz all your kids are good for is pulling weeds in the yard...:)

Robin Lambright said...

Great answers, parenting is such a difficult thing, who would want a do over???

Loved your last two answers.

God is so GOOD!!

With my laptop down for the count I am so behind in all my blogs!

Blessings and have a great weekend!
R

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Great answers..I love these posts.......A sleepless night so doing a little blog hopping....

I have a Disney Giveaway on my main blog...Hope you will stop by.

http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/