Saturday, March 14, 2009

Hansel & Gretel

A few weeks ago I watched a friend's kids for a couple of hours. I was trying to read some books to the very busy three year old to keep her from getting into trouble. One of the books she handed to me was Hansel & Gretel. What kind of a children's story is this? There is child abandonment, kidnapping, murder, stealing, cannibalism. Not to mention a father who was not in control of his family. Have you read Hansel & Gretel lately? Go here to read it and imagine reading it to a three year old. I found this play-set on Amazon.UK. Really? A toy to promote child abandonment, kidnapping, murder, stealing, cannibalism? Just so strange to me. What on earth were the Brothers Grimm thinking when this became a children's story?

I guess you can tell I never read those stories to my children.

After we were done, I told my little that was a silly book and to find one that was happy. So we read a book about Elmo. Much better. Whew. A red fuzzy.....ummm....thing. (What is Elmo anyway?)

1 comment:

Jenny - AKA - frogmama said...

Lol, the question is - what were YOU doing with Hansel & Gretel? hehe

I have a Richard Scarry's Story book from when I was a kid - I treasured it. But I never could bear to read the stories to my kids! Funny how things change.